Sunday, August 3, 2014

Book Review – These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner

Title: These Broken Stars
Author: Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner
Series: Starbound Trilogy
Published: December 10, 2013


SYNOPSIS:

It's a night like any other on board the Icarus. Then, catastrophe strikes: the massive luxury spaceliner is yanked out of hyperspace and plummets into the nearest planet. Lilac LaRoux and Tarver Merendsen survive. And they seem to be alone. 

Lilac is the daughter of the richest man in the universe. Tarver comes from nothing, a young war hero who learned long ago that girls like Lilac are more trouble than they’re worth. But with only each other to rely on, Lilac and Tarver must work together, making a tortuous journey across the eerie, deserted terrain to seek help. 

Then, against all odds, Lilac and Tarver find a strange blessing in the tragedy that has thrown them into each other’s arms. Without the hope of a future together in their own world, they begin to wonder—would they be better off staying here forever?

Everything changes when they uncover the truth behind the chilling whispers that haunt their every step. Lilac and Tarver may find a way off this planet. But they won’t be the same people who landed on it.
--
A timeless love story, THESE BROKEN STARS sets into motion a sweeping science fiction series of companion novels. The Starbound Trilogy: Three worlds. Three love stories. One enemy.



MY REVIEW:

This book is so much better than the ratings give credit. The writing was fantastic, the characters were well-developed and likable, and the plot was interesting. 

When the story first started, I kept thinking how much it was like the movie Titanic...luxury ship, poor boy rescues rich girl, boy and girl save each other...but These Broken Stars was so much more than that. It wasn't insta-love. It was love made from suffering and surviving, discovery and acceptance, and most of all...trust. 

** spoiler alert ** 
I have to admit that when I got to the part after they blew open the door to the building and Lilac became something else, I was nervous. I felt a bit like I did reading The Host...not sure if I could like a character that maybe wasn't Lilac anymore. But Kaufman and Spooner fixed it up nicely. I loved the ending and I'm excited for the next book


SUM IT UP:











Follow me on Goodreads to see all of my reviews.
Visit my website for information on my books, giveaways, and other fun stuff.

www.christinemanzari.com

No comments:

Post a Comment