Sunday, August 3, 2014

Indie Book Review — Making Faces by Amy Harmon


Title: Making Faces
Author: Amy Harmon
Published: October 2013


SYNOPSIS:

Ambrose Young was beautiful. He was tall and muscular, with hair that touched his shoulders and eyes that burned right through you. The kind of beautiful that graced the covers of romance novels, and Fern Taylor would know. She'd been reading them since she was thirteen. But maybe because he was so beautiful he was never someone Fern thought she could have...until he wasn't beautiful anymore. Making Faces is the story of a small town where five young men go off to war, and only one comes back. It is the story of loss. Collective loss, individual loss, loss of beauty, loss of life, loss of identity. It is the tale of one girl's love for a broken boy and a wounded warrior's love for an unremarkable girl. This is a story of friendship that overcomes heartache, heroism that defies the common definitions, and a modern tale of Beauty and the Beast, where we discover that there is a little beauty and a little beast in all of us


MY REVIEW:

I couldn't make myself stop reading this book. The depth of the characters, the beauty of the writing, and the wisdom born from tragedies....it all captivated me so completely.

I got home late last night and since I needed a new book to read, I picked Making Faces out of my to-read pile and decided to read a chapter or two before bed. Five hours later, I had gone to bed....with the book. I didn't stop reading until my husband finally turned the light out on me. And as soon as I got a chance to read the next day, I was hungrily finishing the book, stuffing myself with its gorgeous language and perfect lessons long after I was full. 

Making Faces was touching, and tragic, and so painfully beautiful in its pain and happiness. I loved this book. I loved the characters. I loved the messages it bestowed on me. This was such a surprisingly wonderful read and I will be putting the rest of Amy Harmon's books on my to-read list.



SUM IT UP:










Follow me on Goodreads to see all of my reviews.
Visit my website for more information on my books, giveaways, and other fun stuff.

www.christinemanzari.com


No comments:

Post a Comment